Wednesday 8 August 2012

Tooth Cleaning for Toddlers


How many of you are a fan of MY MILK TOOF? For those who are in the dark, MMT is about 2 adorable "milk toofs". They are ickle who is smart, curious and loves reading, likes  cutting coupons, nibbling on furniture and  interestingly adores  David BowieLardee on the other hand is  loveable and follows ickle around the house. Lardee has a magical red bag with an endless supply of things. These cute creations are of Inhae Lee, a Korean artist living in the States now.

Every time I look at my baby's teeth ickle and lardee comes up to me. One day my baby's teeth will fall and run off to an adventure just like lardee and ickle and I hope they have a good time exploring the world after being in a cave for far too long.

Since we are on the topic of "toofs" we all know how important it is to take care of our pearly, with that said mouth hygiene starts young, but try telling that to a toddler. Good luck!


From many parenting books that I have read, authors have recommended that we can start the trip to the dentist as young as 12months. I have brought this up with others and was shot down saying that it is far too early. Some people will say 2 some say 2 plus and it just varies. Oh well I guess the cue would be when  parents are ready, comfortable and confident about handling their kiddo at the doctor's office.




I was looking around for ways of cleaning my little babe mouth and stumble upon Tooth Tissues .   Tooth Tissues are disposable textured dental wipes specially designed to help remove plaque from your baby and toddler's teeth and gums. Tooth Tissues are natural, fluoride-free, paraben-free and contain  xylitol. They were created by two dentist for their own kids and now it is quite a hit. The tissues are soft and nice and has a oatmeal colour contrasting to the white bleached tissue papers. There is a slight scent that might be unpleasant for some nostrils but it's manageable. My fussy pot is not protesting so I assume it is ok.

They are easy to use and acts like an introduction to brushing for your little one. Just slip one finger into the tissue and swipe them across those little toofs.   Becareful, if your little one likes to bite, this will be a good opportunity to try out their grips. Very good clean up after a meal of fish porridge of pie. These Tooth Tissues are not just for little toofs but works well for adults.  I have tried it myself and I have to admit that my enamels were glowing clean. Some mothers that I know also use these on their furry pets too, tho i think it is  a tad too expensive to be used on my fur ball.

I ordered mine from iHerb for RM18.37, seen it around in our Klang Valley baby stores retailing for RM20 to RM25 so it is good savings if you buy from iherbs.  For first time buyers, you can use OFA675  as the discount code on your first purchase and get 10UDS off for orders more than $40. My package came within 10 days but at times it can take up to 2 weeks. This is my first packet and I will be stocking up soon when mine runs out. Best to keep one packet near your baby so that you can remember to use it after the last bottle. Milk in the mouth without rinsing is bad news for us and a great space for tooth decaying bacteria to thrive. According to the creators, these tissue can be used from birth, I think it will be best to use when your baby starts solids. 

So for those who are looking for that something extra either it is  your teeth cleaning or little kiddo's, you might want to give this a shot.

Happy toofing! 



2 comments: